Your tooth enamel has a weakness, and it results in cavities. Cavities are the result of destruction to your tooth enamel to such a degree that a hole has formed in a tooth. Although your tooth enamel is a very strong protective layer of your teeth, it can be harmed by the result of plaque buildup and harmful acids.
If a cavity breaks through a tooth’s enamel, your tooth’s pulp can become vulnerable to infection and decay. If left unchecked, tooth loss can occur. Listed below are a few common tips to help you stop cavities from taking hold of your smile.
– When selecting a toothbrush and dental floss, use products that are recommended by your dentist or feature the ADA Seal of Acceptance.
– Avoid foods and drinks that are sticky and chewy, as they can linger in your mouth long after ingesting and can continue to damage your teeth and gums.
– Always go to your scheduled checkups and professional cleanings at your dentist so that they can check your smile for cavities.
– Consider trying supplementary dental cleaners after meals, such as mouthwash.
– Avoid sugars and acidic foods and eat a healthy diet that includes foods with a high water content.
– Cavities can occur at any time, so remember to brush and floss daily for the rest of your life.
You don’t have to wait until it’s too late for a cavity filling. If you would like a dental filling, please schedule an oral exam with Dr. Alma Vallderuten in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, by calling 954-491-5748. Our team at Vallderuten Dental Associates looks forward to bringing your smile back to its fullest, brightest, potential!