Do you know what bruxism is? Bruxism is an oft-overlooked and untreated oral condition that happens when you unconsciously grind or clench your teeth. It’s most common form, sleep bruxism, occurs when sleeping and therefore often goes unnoticed as a cause for symptoms that begin to develop.
Bruxism can wreak havoc on your smile, so look for the following signs and symptoms that could indicate you may be suffering from it:
– You unconsciously grind, clench, and gnash your teeth, which can break down smiles over time, resulting in a damaged, flat look to your smile.
– If you have unknowingly chipped or cracked your teeth, it may have been caused by bruxism.
– You may have bruxism if you have a TMJ disorder, sensitive teeth, dull headaches in your temple area, and damage to the inside of your cheek due to chewing.
– Sleep disorders such as sleep apnea or snoring, are often found in individuals with bruxism.
– If you are an adult with severe stress, you may be at an amplified risk for bruxism.
Treatment options for individuals with bruxism include night guards, muscle relaxant medications, meditative workouts and exercises, and other stress relievers. If you would like Dr. Alma Vallderuten and our team at Vallderuten Dental Associates to bring you in for an oral health examination, please contact our office in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, by calling 954-491-5748 today. We look forward to helping you get the treatment you need for a healthy, happy, well-rested smile!